[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: free reference code for S-HTTP for servers?

> From: zurko@osf.org (Mary Ellen Zurko)
> Subject: free reference code for S-HTTP for servers?
> To: www-security@ns2.rutgers.edu (WWW security dist list)
> Date: Tue, 8 Aug 95 9:28:34 EDT
>
> Is there any freeware reference code available for S-HTTP for server
> use (modulo RSA licensing issues)? The EIT pages indicate NCSA could
> make it freely available for browsers, but there's no indication
> anyone has any intentions in terms of servers.
> 	Mez

Quite right about the NCSA/EIT/RSA arrangements, it only covers
clients.  I've heard about a couple of S-HTTP implementations
elsewhere, but I don't know about their intentions to supply freeware.

EIT is supporting work at Stanford for the development of a S-HTTP
server implementation based on CERN httpd, using RSAREF as the crypto
engine. The resulting code is to be freeware, but it will carry Stanford
copyrights (and possibly some restrictions, I don't know).

-Allan